More Paint & Paper

This is the dresser that I came to own quite interestingly,if anyone remembers. After I got it home it needed a good cleaning, followed by a good sanding.



After I sanded I put the drawers back and noticed something else that was...um... interesting. Does anyone else see it? Look closely.



Look at the fourth drawer. Doesn't exactly fit, does it? I had to go back and look at the first picture I took before I took out the drawers. I was sure I would have noticed something like that. But sure enough, the bottom drawer (in the top pic) is too short on each side.

Huh. What the heck? How does that even happen? The only thing I can think of is that this drawer is out of the matching 9 drawer dresser that I didn't buy. But that would mean that the 9 drawer dresser now has a drawer that is too big. Oops.

Anyway, at first I figured I would just paint it up and maybe someone won't notice just like I didn't notice. Then I had one of those Aha Moments that Oprah is always talking about. If I could pry off that wood on top of the drawers and then move it over half an inch it would line up with the other drawers. Luckily it wasn't glued down, only a few nails stood between me and 5 perfectly lined up drawers.

I had already painted before I had the Aha Moment so you can see where I moved over those pieces. At this point I'm thinking "why the heck are these pieces on the drawers anyways?"



I planned on doing some podging in the recessed parts anyways so it didn't matter that there was no paint where I moved the wood over. I picked up the paper at Michaels and got to work podging. I'm basically in love with Mod Podge now.



I bought two new knobs for the top drawer since the original ones were broken. Not the typical knobs I would buy but the finish matched the original handles which I planned on re-using. I did, however, remove the plate that was behind the handles to make them look more updated.

This dresser turned out to be a bit more labour intensive than most dressers but who doesn't like busting out the tools, getting inventive and hammering a few nails?





Party on, Wayne!








Visit thecsiproject.com

18 comments:

  1. I love it! Great mix of the turquoise and white, Mod Podge really is the bomb.

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's beautiful! What an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I wouldn't have bought it in it's original condition, bu.t now it's a beaut.

    K, that's it's I'm coming to B to play with you, you have such great projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! It looks terrific!
    Thanks for your kind remarks about my old blue dresser over on my blog!
    Elizabeth
    http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do remember that dresser and i remember thinking, what on earth were you thinking?? ;) but look at what you have done- marvelous! it is so cute and i love how you used the inset panel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW what an awesome transformation!! I can't believe you made such a lovely piece of furniture from such hideousness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turned out so nice!! What a change :) You must be magic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is your dresser made from particle board?
    Oh now I have hope for my daughter's nasty ugly dresser in her room!!! Beautiful job and great inspiration! Maybe it would incite my daughter to keep her clothes IN the dresser instead of all over the floor? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out very nice. I love the paper choice. Much cheerier than the original version.

    I'm having a link party and Target giveaway on my blog. I'd love it if you joined up! Have a wonderful day. alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone!

    Chris, parts of it are particle board but it's covered with a wood veneer. But I have painted straight up particle board with spray paint and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love it!
    It just looks so new and wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I can't believe its the same dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got to say I would never have thought the original dresser could look so good. The transformation is amazing! I love the brightness of the pattern down the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy you made a prince out of a frog...wow!! Excellent makeover! What a surprise reveal! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your vision! How many people could look at that dark dresser and see that pretty blue and white beauty? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dresser transformation. It's GORGEOUS. I just found your blog and have become a 'follower'. I am a fellow Ontarian (is that even a word). You know what I mean. Your projects all display your artistic side. Hope you stop by for a visit sometime. I look forward to seeing your upcoming projects.
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete